When you begin or think about starting a medicine, you are bound to have questions. While your health care provider is always the best source for answers, you may also find some below.
Wegovy® is an injectable prescription medication for adults with obesity (BMI ≥30) or overweight (excess weight) (BMI ≥27) who also have weight-related medical problems, to help them lose weight and keep it off. Wegovy® should be used with a reduced-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity.
• Wegovy® contains semaglutide and should not be used with other semaglutide-containing products or other GLP-1 receptor agonist medicines.
• It is not known if Wegovy® is safe and effective when taken with other prescription, over-the-counter, or herbal weight-loss products.
• It is not known if Wegovy® can be used safely in people with a history of pancreatitis.
• It is not known if Wegovy® is safe and effective for use in children under 18 years of age.
Wegovy® works by mimicking a hormone that targets areas of the brain involved in regulating appetite and food intake. This can help you eat less, which can lead to weight loss.
In a 68-week medical study of 1,961 adults living with obesity or excess weight with a related medical problem, adults lost ~35 lbs (or ~15% body weight). People taking placebo in the study (not on medicine) lost an average of 6 lb (or ~2.5% body weight). The average starting weight for both groups was ~232 lbs.a
aResults are from a 68-week medical study of adults with obesity (BMI ≥30) and adults with excess weight (BMI ≥27) who also had weight-related medical problems including high blood pressure or high cholesterol. People with type 2 diabetes were excluded. Both groups were instructed to take the medicine along with a reduced-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity. 7% of people taking Wegovy® (92 people) left the medical study due to side effects, compared to 3.1% of people taking placebo (20 people).
• 83% of adults taking Wegovy® lost 5% or more weight, compared to 31% taking placebo
• 66% of adults taking Wegovy® lost 10% or more weight, compared to 12% taking placebo
• 48% of adults taking Wegovy® lost 15% or more weight, compared to 5% taking placebo
In addition to a reduced-calorie meal plan and increased physical activity, people in this study taking Wegovy® lost more weight vs placebo.
*In a supportive measure, at week 68, at least 20% weight loss was seen in 30% of people taking Wegovy® versus 2% of people taking placebo
People respond to medicines differently, so there is no set time for when you can expect to see results with Wegovy®. Ask your health care provider about what might be a realistic expectation for you.
The most common side effects of Wegovy® may include: nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, constipation, stomach (abdomen) pain, headache, tiredness (fatigue), upset stomach, dizziness, feeling bloated, belching, gas, stomach flu, and heartburn.
Tell your health care provider if you have any side effects that bother you.
It is possible to travel with your Wegovy® pen:
• When traveling by air, keep your Wegovy® pen with you or in your carry-on, as it may freeze in the baggage compartment. Be sure to check with the airline to see if they have any specific baggage rules.
• If needed, Wegovy® may be stored between 46°F and 86°F in the original carton for up to 28 days.
Could Wegovy® help me achieve lasting weight loss?
Wegovy® is taken once a week, any time of day, with or without food.
Wegovy® comes in 5 different doses: 0.25 mg, 1 mg, 1.7 mg, and 2.4 mg. Each dose comes in its own color pen.
Yes, it is recommended that you take Wegovy® on the same day every week at a time that is most convienent for you.
Take Wegovy® 1 time each week, on the same day each week, at any time of the day. You may change the day of the week you take Wegovy® as long as your last dose was given 2 or more days before.
You can take Wegovy® with or without food.
If you miss a dose of Wegovy® and the next scheduled dose is more than 2 days away (48 hours), take the missed dose as soon as possible.
If you miss a dose of Wegovy® and the next scheduled dose is less than 2 days away (48 hours), do not administer the dose. Take your next dose on the regularly scheduled day.
If you miss doses of Wegovy® for more than 2 weeks, take your next dose on the regularly scheduled day or call your health care provider to talk about how to restart your treatment.
Wegovy® should be clear and colorless. If it is not clear and colorless, DO NOT USE IT. Safely dispose of the Wegovy® pen and contact our Patient Customer Care Center at 833-934-6891 for a replacement.
It’s important to properly dispose of your used Wegovy® pens. Do not throw the pen away in your household trash. Instead, use an FDA-cleared sharps disposal container or a sturdy household container with a tight-fitting lid, like a heavy-duty plastic container. Other requirements include puncture resistant, upright and stable during use, leak resistant and properly labeled.
Your out-of-pocket cost for Wegovy® will depend on a number of factors. For example, your insurance coverage. You can see if you have coverage for Wegovy® and your estimated cost right now. It only takes a few minutes. Check your cost and coverage.
Yes. The free WeGoTogether® personalized support program features:
• A dedicated Health Coach to partner with you and provide flexible, one-on-one coaching via phone, email, or text
• Your personal web experience to help you set tiny steps and track your progress, including weekly lessons and resources
• Ongoing support to help keep you motivated